Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ready for tax day?

It's April 15, but thanks to the wonder of Sundays and a wandering holiday called Emancipation Day*  celebrated on April 16 in Washington DC, US taxes aren't due until Tuesday April 17. Sounds like a great excuse to procrastinate a little more and get caught up. I've been busy writing while I've avoided posting, so this may end up as two posts.

Mailed April 6:


This is another wooden postcard, sent for a friend's birthday. I found a shop that has some more of these, but I didn't see any designs I liked. I then looked up the company, Spitfire Girl, and you can create your own design for wooden postcards. They're not cheap, but it's kind of cool.

Also mailed April 6:


I recently picked up a booklet of slightly naughty postcards involving little figurines. This is one of the more fun ones....it looks like they're part of some new dance craze, a flatulent watusi perhaps. Can you honestly say that wouldn't be a laugh riot? I can't....but then I'm very in touch with my inner 12 year old boy.

Mailed April 12:

Janet Flanner, photo by Berenice Abbott, 1927

Getting a bit more highbrow, this is a photograph from the Hide/Seek exhibit at the Tacoma Art Museum I went to two weeks ago. This is a great exhibit highlighting the evolution of sexual identity over a span of 150 years. There weren't postcards of many of my favorite pieces, but I liked this one a lot (and you'll note on the TAM page that it's the lead image). The show runs through June 10, so I encourage anyone in the area to go see it.

I've got a few more to post, but they will have to wait for the next post.....hopefully not such a long wait this time.

*read about Emancipation Day here...I never knew about it before this tax day business, although I know about Juneteenth (as it's called in Texas). Interesting that it is celebrated on different days in different areas - I wonder why it isn't a federal holiday for the whole country.

3 comments:

  1. It is celebrated on different days because Emancipation occurred at different times. In Wash D.C. it happened 7 months before Abolition was enacted, and they are rightly proud of being so advanced. You raise a good point though, why isn't Abolition celebrated as a national holiday? We could get rid of Columbus Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why different areas that abolished slavery prior to the national emancipation proclamation would want to recognize their forward-thinkingness. But I'd much rather have a national Emancipation Day than recognize columbus day!

      Delete
    2. Let's start a write-in campaign!! We could send postcards!

      Delete