Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Oh is THAT what you meant?

Over the weekend I was talking to my mom on the phone, she asked how the postcard project had gone, and said she would send me some postcards. "How nice," I thought, "my mom is going to write me". Today I opened my mailbox to find a large envelope full of blank postcards she had collected over the years. Oh. Then I looked at the cards and saw she had put a post-it one each one, which made them hilariously awesome.


My mom did in fact just go on a quick trip to Paris, so this is fresh from the City of Light. And apparently virgin!

"because I love you here is Rembrandt's dog"



well, I can't notice her face because there's a post-it on top



That would be 1990, when I invited my mother to my fabulous grown up house in Cincinnati where I lived with 6 of my coworkers from a Perkins restaurant, and two days before Thanksgiving our refrigerator died, and the landlord merely laughed when I asked if it could be replaced in time for the holiday. I was beside myself, but fortunately my godmother was having some sort of shindig down in Kentucky and we invited ourselves over.

Somewhere in Denmark

Nice wallpaper!

I thought about leaving the post its on when I eventually send these out, but I figured they'd catch in the sorting machines unless I taped them down, and I do want people to see the real postcards.

Also in today's mail was a birthday card I sent over the weekend, returned for postage due because it's a square. The oversize extra postage issue has been a thorn in my side since the beginning of 2012. I know this is something instituted by USPS in something like 2007 or 2008, but for some reason this year I have been tripped up on this several times, both for personal and business mail. I'm also a bit chuffed at the maker of the card - usually they say somewhere on the card, the envelope, or the packaging that extra postage is required, so foolishly if there is no warning I just assume it's regular first class mail. Not a problem to add the postage and resend, but now the card will be late. ANNOYING.

No comments:

Post a Comment