Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Slide Show redux

I made a point of not sending any postcards from my recent travels the first couple of days, but I did get a bunch of cool postcards in Amsterdam and Ghent, so I'll just apologize in advance for the periodic travelogue. Or not - because my trip was really cool!!

But I'm getting ahead of myself....

Mailed Feb 2:



shoot, I forgot to write down the artist and title of this, but it had to do with Jackie O. I just liked the festive swankiness of it.

To be mailed Feb 4:

This is where the travelogue begins...
On my second day in Amsterdam, I was wandering around and walked past a small shop with these groovy postcards. I got about 20 feet away and decided to go back, since all the other postcards I'd seen were typical tourist shots (and there will be plenty of those eventually). The entire shop is devoted to selling the work of this artist, Mark Raven. There were t-shirts, coasters, posters, and up a very tiny spiral staircase there was a gallery of his prints. I spoke to the man in the shop - who was an artist himself, but not Mark Raven - for quite a while about art and music.

And I don't think this counts toward my Month of Letters challenge, but I wrote this postcard traveling from Belgium back to Amsterdam, intending to mail it as soon as I got home. Except I just found it and popped it in the mail today.






I liked Amsterdam a lot, but I LOVED Ghent, the subject of this postcard. I stayed a couple of blocks from where this picture was taken, in the old part of the city, and it's unbelievably lovely. The people of Ghent were also exceptionally friendly and helpful. I loved Ghent so much that I cancelled my plans to go to Brugge so I could stay an extra day. GHENT!


No comments:

Post a Comment