Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day!

I can't believe this is it!! Even though there were a couple of days where I wasn't really in the mood to write anything or feeling creative, I've really enjoyed doing this. I'll post more about the project later, but here are the final postcards that went out today...

Mailed February 29:


First, I sent this little thank you postcard to Mary Robinette Kowal, the woman who created the Month of Letters Challenge. It was a cool project and it was nice to see all the different ways people participated (if you haven't checked out the Lettermo site, I encourage you to do so).

Since it's the last day and all, I decided to send another card too...


This is a promo postcard for another show I was in - again, Laura Curry's work. The piece was called "White Elephant", there were 9 dancers performing onstage with a 27-piece orchestra, at Seattle's Bumbershoot festival in September 1996. The month before the show I was between apartments, staying in a friend's spare bedroom. There was a skylight over the bathtub - I remember 9 hour rehearsals in the week before the show, and afterward dragging the speakers over to the door of the bathroom, cranking the music and soaking in the tub for over an hour pretty much every night.

I can't remember what the audience reception to the piece was. Performing at Bumbershoot is a strange gig. You can reach a huge audience, and a lot of people who wouldn't normally see modern dance, but because of the nature of the festival, people don't have any problem just walking out if it's not their cup of tea. This piece wasn't exactly accessible to a mainstream audience. Or maybe it was, who knows. But the music was gorgeous, the dance was challenging and there's nothing quite like the satisfied exhaustion (or exhausted satisfaction) of putting together work you are totally committed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment